Are you busy? More truths for an Organized Life

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Are you busy? So am I. But then again, who isn't these days?

Since we've uncovered the obvious - that we're all busy- a better question would be: why?

I thought about that the other day as I was recounting ALL the things I had to do, ALL the places I had to go, and ALL the demands that were required of me, and this is the conclusion I came to:

Because
U
Said
Yes

I laughed when the acronym popped into my head (via the Holy Spirit, no doubt), but after the humor wore off, I realized the truth in it. My life was busy because I chose to say "yes" to too many things. Maybe you can relate.

If you're like me, saying yes oftentimes comes quickly without thought or prayer. It's not bad that we say yes, but we have to realize that it's not always the answer we're supposed to give. The problem lies in the fact that we don't always give thought to what it is exactly we are supposed to do. We don't recognize that when we say "yes" to something, it means that we're saying "no" to something else. Why is that?

I think that the answer to that question is simple: we don't live by our priorities because we don't know what they are. When you and I don't have a clear understanding of how we are supposed to live, then we give whim to every opportunity that presents itself, and therefore become BUSY. It doesn't have to be that way though.

Because we are all different people with different situations, in different seasons of life it's impossible for me to say what your priorities should be or assume that they will be the same as mine. Only you can know what your priorities are, just as I can only know what mine should be. However, regardless of where we are in life the Bible tells us clearly what our first and utmost priority should be:

"But seek first His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." - Matthew 6:33

Once we put first things first, then everything else we have to do, to be, or to fulfill will be added to our lives accordingly. When we live by God's Word, then we can rest content, untouched by trouble (Proverbs 19:23). That means, we won't be so BUSY!

I want you to be encouraged that we can fit everything that needs to be in our lives when we keep it in proper perspective. I think Stephen Covey, author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People said it best, "Just think how different our lives can be when we really know what is deeply important to us, and, keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day around what really matters most."

Are you ready to do that?

1 People had something to say:

Lisa A said...

I loved that. Because you said yes! I say yes way too many times. Thanks Liana for letting God use you to share His message. Love you tons. Lisa A