Desire to Communicate

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Like most of you, I've had a busy week - 3 school meetings, 4 workouts, celebrated my daughters 9th birthday, hosted Bible study at my home and had intensive Chinese lessons. All of those things were necessary but as I look back over the week, I would have to say my Chinese lessons were at the top of my list of HAVE TO DO for two reasons. First, I am in survival mode here in China and the more Chinese I learn, the easier it is to live. As I write I realize the same thing can be said of God's Word in our lives. We have been placed on this earth and as long as we inhabit it, we are in survival mode. We are foreigners in this land. However, the more of God's Word we know and learn, the easier it is to live amongst the confusion, the chaos, the temptations, and the warfare. May we all make God's Word a priority in our lives! My second reason for wanting to speak Chinese is because I have learned the difficulties that occur when language barriers keep me from communicating with others. Let me share an example with you. As part of our housing allowance we are given a car and driver (trust me, you wouldn't want to drive here even if you could) and household help 5 days a week. These 2 people play a significant role in our lives on a daily basis, and we have come to love them dearly. For the most part, however, I can not communicate with them. The impact of this communication problem hit me one day while I was eating lunch at home. My maid, Ayi (pronounced I - E), came to sit with me at the table to eat her lunch and there was nothing but silence penetrating the room. This eerie quiet saddened me because I realized that I know nothing about this woman who cleans my home, does my laundry, and babysits my children. Even worse, I have no way of finding out these things because I don't speak her language, nor she does speak mine. I know if we could communicate I could ask her about her family, when her birthday is, how she is feeling, and what she thinks of us! The same goes for our driver. I want to know if he likes his job, how he knows where everything is, and how he is able to concentrate on driving when my kids are fighting in the backseat! I want so badly to speak the language!! Then the thought occurred to me, did I have the same desire to get to know people when I could communicate with them? How many people served alongside me in ministry at church or volunteered with me at school and though I could talk to them and get to know them, I didn't take the opportunity? Sometimes I think it takes us being in a situation where we aren't able to do something to realize how fortunate we are when we can do something. Unfortunately my situation isn't going to change anytime soon - Chinese is a difficult language, and it may be awhile before I am considered "fluent" enough to ask those personal questions. But I want to encourage you today to take advantage of your situation - you have no language barriers keeping you from getting to know someone in your circle of influence and activity. Don't let an opportunity pass you by to get to know someone a little better today -- just do it!

2 People had something to say:

The Glow Girls said...

Liana, you touched my heart. My sister lived in Peru for 12 years and expericend the same situation with language barrieres. But after time and learning, she is very fluent as well as her three children. I totally agree that we don't take the time or the willingness to get to know each other. We seem to creat our own barrier. You have empowered me this morning and this week to seize that moment of opening the doors to a awesome opportunity and break down those barriers. Loving your blog and thoughts. We miss you.

Susie said...

Okay, you continue to bless us with your words of wisdom. What is so cool is that you know exactly who is providing the wisdom, therefore, God gives it freely. You truly make me want to know God more intimately and you always have. Thanks for writing and sharing. I miss you too, but I am so happy that God has put you exactly where you need to be.