Right to privacy

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Today was an ordinary day for me in China. Meetings, appointments, errands, daily almost-get-hit by a car, men urinating on the side of the road in plain view. Yep, just your average day. The funny thing about it is that even though it's just an ordinary day it is still an adventure! For example, I had to take Tiger, our cat, to the vet. I should have known this experience would be something to write about later when I show up with the only cat (there may be truth to the rumor that they eat cats), and I was the only one who brought their pet in a pet carrier. After adjusting to all the stares, I am finally called into the exam room. After looking at Tiger they tell me he has a parasite in his eye and that is what is causing all the drainage. They tell me that they will flush it out and then I am to give him eyedrops for a week. OK, no big deal. Once the elderly technician tells me this and leaves the room, at least 2 Chinese people come up and ask him what is wrong with my cat. I know that they are talking about my situation by their hand motions and their constant staring. Did I mention that it was a glass enclosed exam room? After removing one worm they tell me that there are more, but they need to take Tiger to the operation room to finish. This takes about 30 minutes. Each time a doctor or technician comes out of the operation room, ALL the Chinese people in the waiting room rush over and ask the person what is going on -- as if it were their animal! They act as if I am not even in the room, they aren't quiet about it, and the vet people have no problem divulging the information! I wanted to scream at them, "Hello! This is my pet, why do you care? And what about doctor-patient confidentiality? Does that not apply to animals?" It was all so hilarious I just wanted to burst out laughing but thought better of it for fear of looking crazy. Then I began to think to myself, "Do these people have no sense of privacy? This would never happen in the States." The truth is the Chinese have NO privacy issues. They are curious, nosy, and inquisitive to the point of being shameless. Why is it they have no problem with this, yet we do? After much thought I've come to the conclusion that for us, privacy is a right. It is granted to us as law and therefore we demand it in every area of our lives. Though it is a good thing, it is the best thing? To require such privacy and confidentiality must mean that we want things to be kept secret, withdrawn, or hidden. What is it that we are trying so hard to hide? What or who are we afraid of by wanting privacy? Is it others or ourselves? Look at our lives - we want houses with lots of windows then we cover them up with blinds AND curtains; we build fences around our houses; we live in gated communities. We crave privacy and I'll be the first to admit it! But the real question we must face is why do I/we need it so badly? Think about it. Once we discover the answer, the truth of it might just set us free.

3 People had something to say:

Susie said...

Hey Liana, watch out for that spam. That is why I have to approve all my comments first before they appear. Anyway, I found this vet experience very interesting and funny too. I usually do not think of myself as a very private person until you started listing some of the things we do as Americans. Your posts are great. I am enjoying them so much. Miss ya!

Pamela said...

Liana, your post was so funny and I would have reacted the same way if it was my pet! lol

Sounds like they could use a little more privacy there where you are with using the streets as bathrooms.

Susie, said such nice things about you and so I just wanted to welcome you to bloggityville! I love your style and will be back to visit and please stop by and see me, as well! :) Take care!

The Glow Girls said...

Yeah!!! Liana, welcome to the blog family of friends. It good to see you are doing well. The whole cat story is funny. I to, never thought about the whole privacy issue that we hold dear to in American. While we were in Russia, they did not care on bit about privacy as well. People would try on clothes in front of all to see in a open market. It was a riot. Keep up the blogging. I'm adding you to my fav's