Kramer-like days

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

If you know me very well you know that I am an addict of the TV show "Seinfeld". Clint and I watched it when it first came out and we still watch all the reruns on TV now. We absolutely love it! The other night we were watching it and it was the one where Kramer, Jerry's nutty neighbor, decided to do everything in his shower -- bathe, talk on the phone, cook, eat, wash dishes, etc. It was hilarious! Our youngest daughter, Abbey, happened to watch this episode with us and decided that she would try to imitate Kramer's way of thinking. She now bathes, brushes her teeth, and fixes her hair in the shower every morning. It's really funny - strange, but funny! I'm not sure why she chose to do that -- whether she is trying to save time or whether she is trying to cram everything in at once. For me, I would do it to save time (trust me, I DON'T do that!). But if I am so busy that I would have to use my shower time to get things accomplished, then I am way too busy! Some days it feels like that though. How do we get so busy? I have learned that whether you have responsibilities or not, your time WILL get filled. I have also learned that the only person that can change that is ME! I have to be the one to say no, to use my time wisely, and to put the brakes on and say enough is enough. I write all this because we are entering the wonderful holiday season. It is that time of year where the tasks on our to do lists are more numerous than the number of hours in a day. I hope and pray that we can all slow down, say no, use our time wisely, and be willing to say enough is enough when things get out of hand. It is possible to do, we just have to do it! Otherwise, we will end up like Kramer and HAVE to do everything in the shower -- and I don't think any of us what that mental picture swimming around in our heads!

2 People had something to say:

The Glow Girls said...

You hit the nail on the head with that one. I find myself doing all sorts of things at once and yet not accomlishing anything. I agree we need to slow down and take inventory on what is truely important--- especially this time of the year. We are going to the flordia beaches for thanksgiving and it will be the first for me that I'm not the one running around like a turkey with its' head cut off. I'm looking forward to some quite and spending time with my family. You are right that it's our choice to make at saying no to things and using our time wisely. Heck, you wrote a book about it. I still refer back to it from time to time.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Susie said...

Too funny. I needed this reminder about slowing down before this crazy 2 months get under way. I already started filling in the calendar with "have to's" and what about the "I want to's". The madness must stop or I will be showering and shopping on line with the laptop at the same time. Not a good idea.