My heart friends - Day 1

Sunday, May 27, 2007

My last post was about the hard time I was having with friendships in China and how I desperately longed to have a heart friend here with me. I know that in God's timing He will bring me one of those friends and I wait with hopeful anticipation. But rather than dwelling on what has yet to happen, I want to focus on what God has done for me in the past. You see, in the last 10 or so years God has given to me what I call my "Fab Five"...those 5 wonderful heart friends who have come into my life and left an imprint in my heart. These dear women are my support group and I treasure them dearly. The unique thing about this group is that we are not a group of gals who get together regularly and lean on each other. Rather, these are each different, individual relationships in which I share common bonds. I thought I would share a little about each of these heart friends with you over the next few days and why I treasure each of them so dearly. I only wish I could share photos to go along with each post but I'm not that computer savvy....my goal is to work on changing that after my summer holiday!!

Lisa R. - I met Lisa when I was living in Victoria, Texas in 1994. We were both first year teachers and were required to attend a class for newbies in the school district. As we talked in class we realized we had a lot in common....we were both newly married, both just moved to Victoria, and both married to engineers. My husband and I had just moved out of the same apartment complex she and her husband were living in and we seemed to just hit it off. We decided to get together with our husbands one evening to hang out. It was a night we will always remember. While we were eating dinner, the infamous O.J. Simpson car ride on the highway in California was happening. Rather than spend time talking and getting to know one another better, we followed that white Bronco all night! We still laugh about that now. That was the start of a friendship that has lasted to this day. Lisa and I would end up teaching next door to each other, go to church and do Bible study together, have kids close in age (who love each other dearly), and eventually became the sisters we never really had growing up. Our families have been separated by distance both near and far, but none of that has broken the bond that was formed so long ago. We have even started the tradition of vacationing together in the summer at the Frio River in the Hill Country....it's a great time together playing games (her husband, John and I have intense Scrabble competitions and everyone knows to stay away when those are underway!), having campfires, and of course, tubing the river no matter how high or low it may be! I'm so grateful for this friendship that God has given to me. I have learned so much from her and can't imagine what life would be like without her. We don't get to talk as much as we used to, but when we do it's like we never missed a beat. So what is it about Lisa that is so dear to me? She is a strong woman who can handle whatever comes her way. She is "mechanically" smart and can do things I could never do! She is a wonderful wife and mother. She loves God and strives to follow Him with all her heart, mind, and strength. Like me, she loves to read and to watch Lost. She is a very generous and giving person. Although she is 7 months older than me, she is way cooler and more hip than I will ever be! She is very creative and artistic. She is always willing to try new things or activities just for the fun of it!

I could go on and on....after 13 years of friendship we have been through a lot so there is plenty to write about. I think you can see why I love her so much. God is good isn't He?!

I will continue my list of heart friends on Wednesday (I have to go to Shanghai tomorrow!). Next on the list.....sweet Susie.

1 People had something to say:

Susan said...

Enjoyed your sweet post and tribute to this wonderful friend God has blessed you with. "A friend who sticketh closer than a brother". Such a blessing. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Susie, since I "know" her a little bit from blogging!!
Susan