Watching the Time

Friday, September 07, 2007

Amidst all the craziness going on in my life recently, I managed to observe another birthday. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the opportunity to celebrate another year of life. However, this year my birthday happened to fall when my husband was extremely sick, we had been traveling to Shanghai for 3 days to visit doctors, and it was our daughters' first day back to school. Celebrating was the last thing on my mind! But all was not forgotten as my daughter, Kayley, surprised me with a gift that she had purchased while we were in the States this summer. It was a beautiful cross with a clock in the middle of it. My girls know I love to collect crosses so this was a wonderful addition to my collection. At first I wasn't sure where to place it, but I finally decided to give it a home in my office. I couldn't have picked a better place.

First you have to understand that my office is my personal sanctuary. It's the room that I can retreat to when I need quiet and calm. It's also the space where I spend the most time with God. I have my quiet times and my personal study time in there as well. It was during one of my quiet times that I realized the significance of that cross clock. Actually two things dawned in my mind that profoundly impacted my outlook.

The first realization I had was that time is ticking, meaning we don't know how long we have until Jesus' return. Jesus himself said in Matthew 24:36, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." We may not have been given insight into this divine moment in time, but we have been given instructions on how to live in expectation of it. We are to be on guard, watching and preparing (Matthew 24:42,44; Mark 13:35-37). Too many times, however, I discount that Christ's glorious return might happen in my lifetime, so I don't live with anxious anticipation of it. That is unwise thinking because when I live with this mindset then I take for granted the opportunities before me, especially when it comes to reaching the lost. And God has not only placed family and friends who are lost in my life, but he has also dropped me into an entire community of non-believers that I am currently sharing life! As I think about the time ticking, I can't help but feel a sense of urgency to reach these people before it's too late. I'm just grateful we have such a loving and patient Heavenly Father who "does not want anyone to perish, but for everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9). Having my cross clock in my office where I spend time praying is a helpful reminder of who I need to be praying for and how!

My second "clock" realization about time was this: Am I using my time to the best of my ability for Jesus and what He is calling me to do? It is so easy for me to become lazy and distracted or even procrastinate from what I feel God is wanting me to do. I am constantly having to remind myself of Ephesians 5:15-16, "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." My cross clock helps me to keep going, to discipline myself even when my flesh wants to be doing something else, and to live out the priorities I have set for myself. It is my beautiful encouragement to "not grow weary in doing good for in the end it will reap a harvest if we do not give up" (Galatians 5:9). I need to make sure that I am a proper balance of Mary & Martha as I seek to follow Jesus and His plans for my life.

When I look back at my 37th birthday (yes, I'm not ashamed to tell you how old, I mean young, I am!), I may not have memories of a grand celebration, but I will have a timeless treasure that will continue to have me watching the time for grander purposes.

2 People had something to say:

Susan said...

What a wonderful, precious gift from your daughter. I love how God used the clock to speak to you. My post yesterday was about that very thing. The fact that God does speak to us all the time if we but listen.
Susan

Susie said...

Okay, I get the worst friend award. I just saw your b-day card in my closet yesterday. Sorry.

What an awesome post! Very worth the wait! I just wanted to remind you that I still think you and Clint should think about relocating to the Victoria area when he gets out. Don't forget, Parkway needs a Liana.