Through divine binoculars...continued

Friday, March 28, 2008

My lessons in the Serengeti weren't just focused on the predators, as captivating as they were. I learned a lot from both animal and human prey that added to my understanding of how I am to live among those who want to devour me.

Standing guard with others
Driving through the endless plains I couldn't understand why the wildebeests and zebras were always together. I thought only wildebeests made the annual migration, but soon learned that zebras accompanied them on this journey as well. Naturally curious I had to ask, why were these particular animals put together? In my opinion they seemed to be a most unlikely couple. The answer, however, was survival common sense: wildebeests, who can smell but can't see, pair up with zebras, who have keen eyesight but lack strong smelling abilities. This tag team operation helps them survive the continual attacks from their predators. Only God could ordain such an amazing combination! Fortunately for us, His beloved children, He does the same.

When I am faced with a spiritual attack I know that I am not alone. God has promised that He will always be with me, that He will never forsake me. He has also placed in my life relationships that balance me in areas that I lack abilities, skills, or resources. God knows everything I need and richly supplies! Yet the greatest gift He has poured out on me is a group of women who go to battle for me in prayer. Like zebras, who huddle up at night for protection, these six women blanket me in prayer, whether I ask for it or not. This has been such a blessing in my life, especially when I have a hard time asking for prayer. But I have realized that the predator who wants to take me down is powerful and I have to be just as strong. On my own I can't fight him, but with the help of those who love and support me, there is little he can do.

Unlikely teachers
The African population is made up largely by tribal families. Everyone belongs to a tribe. In the Serengeti the Maasai tribe dominates as the largest and most powerful group. Their presence is apparent, their traditions sacred, and their wisdom insightful. Taking the time to observe them was like mining for treasure and what I discovered was as rich as gold.

Before the plane even landed I noticed the Maasai homes. There was something interesting about the way they were set-up. Surrounding each area of homes was a distinct border. From the plane I could not see what the hedges were made of, but there was no doubt they were there for a reason.

As we drove along and observed the huts, my guide, Albert, informed us that the borders that wrapped around the Maasai homes were for protection from the predators. Made of thorny bushes, or thick plants, this hedge made it difficult for animals to penetrate, thus providing them with the safety they needed. It was a wonderful reminder to me that I need to make sure I live securely in the refuge God has around me. Living with borders that are broken down or neglected, gives the enemy easy access to me and opportunity to set up his traps. Staying grounded and rooted in God's Word, living within the boundaries and limits He has set for my life and for my good, and relying on Him as my strong tower in each and every situation, will help keep me out of the enemy's reach. Who knew a simple hedge could teach so much?

Although we saw their houses from afar, I had yet to actually observe a Maasai tribe member. Albert said we could identify the Maasai easily. They always wore red tunics and carried a knife or spear with them. Sure enough, amongst all the people, clothes, and colors, I knew a Maasai when I saw one. There were just as he said they would be. But it wasn't their appearance that captivated me. When I asked Albert why they wore red, he told me that the red color scared the predators away. Instantly my mind began applying this to spiritual truth.

The red reminded me of Christ and His blood, and all that is ours through His death. When I choose to clothe myself in Him and His power (Eph 1:18-20), then Satan has no ground against me, just as the predators have no ground against the Maasai. It is more than I can think of...the power that raised Jesus from the dead is the same power living in me and available to me to fight the enemy. Why then do I live as a victim rather than a victor? When I allow that truth to penetrate my heart and mind, then there is nothing that can come against me.

The knife/spear that the Maasai carry brought to mind the Sword of the Spirit, that is, the Word of God, our only offensive weapon against the devil's schemes (Eph. 6:17). But like the Maasai, I must carry it with me at all times so that I can be prepared when I am bombarded with lies, doubts, and fears. I have to stop making excuses (like I'm too old to remember or memorize Scripture!) and hide the Word in my heart. If I put my mind to it, I'm sure it will be a worthwhile endeavor.

My trip to Africa was more than a search and find for animals in the wild. It was a journey into the spiritual battles that rage around us, a discovery of the enemy's skill, and insight into the wisdom of the prey on how to live among those who want to devour them. Above all, it was a time of learning that will stay with me for a very long time.

0 People had something to say: