Changed thinking

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The freakiest thing happened to me Sunday night. Walking around my house doing mundane tasks I got a sudden pain in my knee. Since I didn't slip, trip or fall I just thought I might have pulled something. I figured a good night's rest was all I needed. The next morning though, I was still uncomfortable. Since there was no searing pain I went ahead with a light workout. Afterwards I noticed my knee was slightly swollen, and decided to go ahead and call the doctor. When I went in that afternoon, he looked at it and agreed there was something wrong. He said the ligaments around my knee were fine and there didn't seem to be any tearing, but something was causing the inflammation. We would have to do blood work and possibly an MRI to see exactly what was going on. Who would have guessed it would come to all that?

The rest of the appointment was a little blurry with him talking about everything from gout to arthritis to autoimmune disease. My brain could only handle so much, so I just agreed to go along with what he suggested to do and would think about it later. Of course, once I got home and thought about it, my mind couldn't help but walk down a path of gloom and doom. What if it's this? What if I need that? I let myself go on like this for about 30 minutes and then decided to think like I should; as God tells me to think.

1. I had to think on what was true, honorable, right, lovely, pure, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy. Where would "stinkin' thinkin'" get me? Nowhere! I had to stop and change my thought patterns. Immediately!

2. So I had to remember who my Creator was. He created me and knows every inch of my body, healthy and not so healthy. Focusing on Him rather than the problem was a big help.

3. Then I had to remind myself that this was not out of His knowledge or His control. If there is a problem, then He knows it, has allowed it, and will help me through it. He can also heal it if He so chooses.

Once my thinking changed, the rest of my evening was more enjoyable. It doesn't matter how long you may walk with the Lord, you will always face times when you have to go back to square one to get through a situation. I'm glad I did.

Just as I was going to bed, a friend whom I had called earlier to cancel a meeting with because of my injury called worried about what could be wrong with me. She went on for 5 minutes distraught with situations. I listened to her and after I hung up the phone I could only smile because I had walked in her shoes earlier that evening. The only difference was that I knew I would have sweet and peaceful rest because I had not let my thoughts get the best of me and was trusting God.

No matter what you may face today don't let wrong thinking get the best of you. Change your thinking and see how much difference it makes with your situation. I don't know what will happen with my knee, but I'm not worried. That's what thinking God's way will do for you.

1 People had something to say:

Susie said...

Isn't it great that when our focus is on God and his truth, our worries drift away. I'm forever working on this. I'm praying for you friend!