Not always what it seems

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Too often I will look at something and make a rash judgment about it. Sometimes I am correct in my assessment and sometimes I am wrong. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't really matter. What I think God wants me to understand is that things are not always what they seem and if I would take the time to observe things rather than judge or make quick assumptions, then I might learn a thing or two. That was the case as I drove to the airport Sunday morning.

Before checking out of the hotel we asked the concierge to get a taxi to take us to the airport. While we checked out, he hailed the taxi and began loading our luggage into the trunk. When I came out of the hotel, I noticed a man helping the concierge with the bags and took him to be the taxi driver. I also observed that the driver was wearing a neck brace. Instantly my mind began to wonder if it would be safe to drive with the man if his driving resulted in a wreck and a neck injury. If it wouldn't have been rude, I would have asked for another taxi. Since it would have been, I quickly prayed for our safety and got into the car.

I sat in the backseat of the taxi at an angle from the driver and as we drove I noticed something very interesting about him. Every few seconds the left side of his face would twitch and his entire head would lean in that direction. After several minutes I realized that if he didn't have a neck brace to support his head, the twitching would limit his ability to keep his head upright and to function normally. What I had assumed was the result of careless driving, was actually serving a purpose. I felt so bad that I had wrongly judged this man, but more than that I began to have compassion on him. I'm sure he didn't enjoy wearing the brace or having the twitching problem. But he had to survive and live with it and the brace helped him do just that.

When we finally arrived at the airport, I explained to Clint what I had observed and the purpose the neck brace truly served. He instantly said, "Wow! I thought he was a bad taxi driver like all the others we know and just had an accident." I reminded him that nothing is always what it seems.

Perhaps you are looking at something today and making quick assumptions or judgments. Just remember that it may not be what it seems and let God show you how it really is.

"Lord, remove our eyes of flesh so that we don't make rash judgments or assumptions towards the people or the situations we are facing. Give us eyes that take the time to discern and observe what is really there. Teach us Lord to see as You do and act like You as well."

0 People had something to say: