Goals

Saturday, June 07, 2008

"Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination." - Fitzhugh Dodson

I came across this quote when I was cleaning out my office the other day. It made me think about some of the goals I had set for myself and how well I was doing to accomplish them. As the clock continues to tick on my life, I know that I can't wait forever to try to reach my goals. I believe with all my heart that these are not just goals I came up with off the top of my head, but that they were born out of passions that God placed within me. I don't want to look at the end of my life and have regrets, or constantly say "I wish I would've...". I want to live, dream, and reach my goals while I'm still living! Don't you?

I know that too many of us think that there will be plenty of time later to do all the things that we dream of doing. But the more I read God's Word and the more I move, the more I realize that time is short and none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. With God's help, I want to dream big and accomplish much.

I thought I'd share my goals list with you today (see list below). I hope you will enjoy reading over it. When you read my list you may see that being a good wife, mother, friend, etc. are not on the there. That's because I know that those are the things God has called me to be; my list is things I hope to do or see.

My goals
1. Swim with dolphins
2. Travel around the world
3. Go on a hot air balloon ride
4. Have a Sisterchick adventure (based on books by Robin Jones Gunn)--anyone want to join me??
5. Attend each of the major tennis tournaments (Australian, French, Wimbeledon,US Open)
6. Go whale watching
7. Attend one of Kay Arthur's Precept teaching trips (Israel, Rome, Greece)
8. Write books/stories that people can enjoy
9. Teach/speak God's Word to others

I have been blessed to have already accomplished some of the things on my list. I am still hoping to reach them all! I remember after my hot air balloon ride in Australia Clint asked me what I would do when I crossed everything off my list. I told him, "Make a new one!"

I hope that you are making goals and actively trying to reach them NOW. If you haven't made a list (and no, this isn't a bucket list!), I encourage you to start thinking about making one. I think it is not only good for us, but good for our children as well. I want to be an example to my children to dream and realize their goals. What better way to teach them to go for their goals and dreams than for you to show them doing it?

Hoping all your dreams come true.....

0 People had something to say: