Just not for me

Friday, January 09, 2009

A few weeks ago I was at a friend's house here in Germany (yes, I have friends here already - they moved here from Nanjing) and she offered me a piece of cake. I gladly accepted her offer and asked for some water to go with it. She gave me a puzzled look and said, "No one in Germany eats cake with water, only coffee or tea." Ouch! She didn't say it to be mean. Being German she was just stating the facts of the culture here.

I pondered her statement while I drank my glass of water and wondered if I would be able to fit into this coffee-loving environment since I don't drink the addicting cocoa bean. For those of you who love your coffee, please don't take offense! I just don't have a taste for it, along with wine, alcohol, or any kind of tea that's not sweet (that's a Texas thing that runs deep within me). But trying to keep in the spirit of the culture, I thought I'd give it a try.

So far I've tried lattes, but they are only drinkable after adding 3 or 4 sugar packets. Then I hate the coffee taste that lingers in my mouth. I'm going to try a cappucino next, but they say it has a stronger coffee taste than a latte! What's a girl to do? Honestly, I think I'll stick with my hot chocolate -- no matter how kiddie like it may be. This coffee thing is just not for me.

I guess the saying, "When in Rome do as the Romans do" will not work for me here in Germany when it comes to coffee. I'll just carry my Swiss Miss packets with me everywhere I go and pray I can be accepted in the German world!

2 People had something to say:

Susie said...

From your coffee obsessed friend, I would just like to tell you that I didn't start drinking coffee until my mid thirties. I still have to flavor it up quite a bit, but I'm getting better.

I love your new blog look! So fun and sleek. It is so good to hear that you already have friends there to hang out with. Not to mention, they feed you cake-yum!

The Glow Girls said...

From the other coffee obsessed friend. Maybe Susie and I should come to Germany and drink the coffee for you. I understand the culture and the way of the Germans. IT is just as funny and weird here in flordia. I'm thinking I should take up shuffle board and wearing sandles with socks. Hang in there. Love your blog as well.