7 things

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

It's good to be back writing in the blogging world! You know it's been too long since your last post when someone mentions it to you and you don't even remember writing it! Hopefully that won't happen again any time soon, but with all our crazy adventures you never know!

Life here in Germany has been interesting and moving to a foreign country is always a challenge. I know that it won't always be this way, but I'm not "loving" Germany just yet. It's more of a love-hate thing. Which reminded me of Miley Cyrus' song "Seven Things". Yes, I know it's pathetic that a grown woman would even know that song, but when it's played endlessly at your house it kinda sticks with you, even when you don't want it to!

Anyways, in the song she mentions the 7 things she hates about an ex-boyfriend and then talks about the 7 things she likes about him. I thought that would be a fitting way to convey my experience here in Germany so far. So here it goes...

The 7 things I dislike/find strange about Germany (in no particular order):
1. Quiet time - Every day from 1 pm to 3 pm, all day Sunday and every public holiday you are not allowed to do any "loud" activities -- mowing the yard, vacuuming, piano playing, etc. If your neighbors think that you are too noisy during this time they can call and complain about you. Honest truth!
2. The English issue - all Germans are required to take English in school so they know the language. However, they choose NOT to speak it! What about the deer in the headlights look on my face do they not understand?!
3. Parking - more trouble than I care to elaborate on...
4. Expensive, expensive, expensive - please take me back to China where things were SO cheap! In China $300 USD could last me a week or more, here in Germany I'm lucky if it lasts 3 days!
5. Weather - way too cold for this South Texas girl! I think I'll thaw out in April, only to bundle up again in September.
6. Where is the sun? - Strangely the sun does not come up here until after 8:00 am and goes down between 4:30 - 5:00 pm. And then I heard in the summer it completely changes and the sun doesn't go down until 10:00 pm. What axis of the planet is this country spinning on??
7. Religion tax - the government charges you extra taxes if you list any religious affiliation on your resident certificate. For that reason many people don't claim any religion here so they don't have to pay taxes. It is a very atheistic society, yet they take public holidays for Ephinany, Ascension Day, and Pentecost. Try to figure that one out...

Okay, enough of the negatives (but trust me I could list more).

The 7 things I like about Germany (in no particular order):
1. You can drive really fast on the Autobahn! A sticker on Clint's car recommends a maximum speed of 210 kmh (130 mph), although the speedometer goes up to 260 kmh.
2. All the European countries are closely connected and don't require visas to get in!
3. It is mainly a cash only system, so no large debts can be accumulated.
4. No air conditioning in the houses must mean that it shouldn't be too hot here during the Spring and Summer.
5. The food is DELICIOUS - Salami, sausages, pastries, and breads...YUM! I have to find a gym soon!
6. We can watch movies in English at a real movie theater -- yeah! In China that was a rare gift....
7. Nice scenic spots with quaint villages, regal castles, and beautiful mountainsides.


So life in Germany isn't all that I thought it would be, but it's only been 2 weeks. Hopefully, prayerfully things will get better with time. Until then, I'll keep driving around really fast with a sausage stick in one hand, exploring the countryside and singing Miley Cyrus....

2 People had something to say:

Susie said...

It is almost midnight here in Texas and I almost spit my drink out when you said, "Until then, I'll keep driving around really fast with a sausage stick in one hand." You are funny!

I was hoping it was going to be the most magical place ever for you. I REALLY WANT TO COME SEE YOU THERE, however not sure if my body would go into convulsions from all the carbs. I've been doing low carb for 3 weeks and not losing weight. Anyway, glad to hear from you and to see how it's been going.

Still miss you and still wish you would move back to Corpus. Ashley figures if you come back in two years that she will be a senior and Kayley a junior in HS together.

The Glow Girls said...

Girl that is to funny. I'm right there with about moving to a new place. Although I'm still in the states , at times I feel I'm in a diffrent part of the world. I may have to go steal that song from my girls ipod. That is to funny. Keep us laughing. I wish you were back in Corpus as well. Sus, and I talk about you all the time. And ask, " what would Lianna do"?