Monday, March 30, 2009

I could see the tears forming in her eyes. Kayley had expected to be first in the race; she finished fifth. The other girls were bigger and faster, and no matter how hard she ran, she just couldn't compete.

My heart broke for my daughter as she sat next to me and cried. I tried to be encouraging, but she didn't want to hear it. All she wanted at that moment was to be told she was the winner. And she was, in her own way. But there was another truth I had to share with her that I knew she wouldn't want to hear. No matter how hard you try, there will always be someone out there who is just a little bit better, a little bit faster, a little bit more talented than you; but that's what keeps you pushing harder, and trying harder to be your best. An ugly truth, but a truth nonetheless.

I was worried that this discouraging episode would cause her to give up and quit, but she didn't. I was getting her confused with me because that's what I would have done. Thankfully, this is one area that my children have not followed in my footsteps. But I think God used this experience to teach me a valuable lesson.

I have struggled lately comparing myself to other writers. As I read other blogs or magazine articles, I think to myself, "There is no way I could ever write like this." That thinking only starts a domino effect of condemning thoughts that grip me to the point of defeat. At that point I just want to quit and give up. I figure if I'm not able to "compete" and win, why bother? But I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective. Following my own advice, I need to use other's talents, gifts, and abilities to push me to do my best at what I know I'm called to do. I may never be a Noble prize writer, but I think I may be a good writer whose words may one day grace the pages of a magazine.

There may for all of us, someone who is better, stronger, more talented, or better equipped for the tasks we are called to do. Rejoice that you have someone to spur you on, to challenge you to do your best. As I always tell my girls, Do your best and let God take care of the rest.

At the start of her second race, Kayley walked onto the track with sheer determination. My heart felt like it was going to pump out of my body, I was so nervous for her. As the gun went off and she rounded the corner, I saw that she was giving it her best, despite the girls that surrounded her. And as she crossed the finish line ahead of all the rest, I knew that she had turned an ugly truth into a winning reward.

"...I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14

0 People had something to say: