My governing values

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

While searching for an article I had filed away, I came across a list I made several years ago. I had created the list after listening to a seminar on organization and planning. According to the tape (yes, that's how long it's been!) one of the key components to being well-organized is to have a set of governing values, those things you would consider to be your highest priorities, so that you can plan and guide your time and your life by them. As the speaker said, "If you aren't living by your governing values then you aren't living the life you want to have." So to make sure that I had the life I wanted, I came up with those governing values that reflected my highest priorities in life:

1. To have a deep and constantly growing relationship with God,
2. To have an intimate and joyful marriage relationship with Clint,
3. To be a loving and nurturing mother to Kayley and Abbey,
4. To have meaningful relationships with other close friends to walk with through life,
5. To have a home that is nurturing, welcoming and peaceful,
6. To be content with myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually,
7. To be financially comfortable and have the ability to share my money with others,
8. To have the opportunity to enjoy my life doing the things I take pleasure in: travel, reading, etc.,
9. To be an example and an encouragement to other women to become godly women who follow after God.

When I read back over my list after all these years, I was amazed at what I had written and how my life had actually played out. There was deep satisfaction in knowing that I hadn't veered off the path too much. Sure there are some areas that I would like to improve on and other areas I haven't been too successful in, but at this point I was happy to see where I was and to know that I was living by what was important to me. Most of all, I was glad to see that God had honored what I considered the most valuable things in my life and brought them to fruition. Thank you, Lord.

Do you have a list of governing values? Maybe you know what they are in your heart or in your head, but you've never really taken the time to write them down on paper. I want to encourage you to spend a few moments writing down your governing values. I think you will find it beneficial with your time and your purposes in life to have them in writing so you can sift all of your activities through them. If what you are doing doesn't match up with your governing values, do you need to be doing it? Life is fleeting, don't waste it on worthless things! Remember, "each man's life is but a breath." (Psalm 39:4).

If you would like to share your list with me, I would love to hear it. There's nothing greater than spurring one another on in the matters of life!


0 People had something to say: