My 2010 Word

Sunday, December 06, 2009

If you know me, or if you've read my blog for awhile, you know that I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't have anything personal against them, I just am not very successful at keeping them very long so I don't bother making them! Instead, I started a tradition several years ago of having one word that I want to characterize my upcoming year; a word that I carry and aim for throughout the entire year, not just a few weeks or months.

For 2008, my word was significance. I honestly can't remember what my word was for 2009 - I think it had something to do with more openness. For 2010, I've given it a lot of thought and have decided on the word new. You may consider that a little bit strange, but let me explain.

For the most part, I have not shared much about the struggles that I have dealt with over the past year. In all truthfulness, it's been a hard year. Saying good-bye to friends and a life that I enjoyed, moving to a new country, learning a new language, new culture, and new rules, adjusting to a harsher, colder environment, and trying to finish my writing course all took a toll on me. Most of the time I felt like I was just trying to survive, and that's not how I'm supposed to or how I want to live. I thought if I could just make it to the end of the year that a new horizon would be waiting for me around the corner. That's what I've had my eye on, that is what I'm hoping God will bring me to in 2010.

So I'm praying that this new year will be a time for NEW:
- beginnings
- friendships
- opportunities
- growth
- purpose
- freedom (as in no more German or writing lessons!)
- outlook

These are just the things I can think of right now. Hopefully as the year progresses, God will expand my new in different and exciting ways! And as always, when He does, I will gladly share them with you.

As I long for 2009 to be over and anxiously await 2010, I cling to the part of 2 Corinthians 5:17 that reminds me, "...the old has gone, the new has come!"

Let the countdown begin....


2 People had something to say:

Dionna said...

I don't make New Years Resolutions either. I make resolutions all year long - at the exact moment that God reveals to me something needs to be changed.

Anonymous said...

I am excited to follow your journey over your blog! I have never made resolutions either, but blogging is my first!! I am so glad now because I stumbled upon yours! As a college age Christian girl, I am encouraged by your writing. I look forward to learning more from you!