Joy

Monday, November 27, 2006

I have been extremely tired these past few days and pretty down (no, I'm not pregnant!). As I took a hot shower trying to wake up, I realized why I've been so lethargic. I literally have not seen the sun since November 15th, almost 2 weeks! The winter weather in Nanjing seems to be nothing but cold, clouds, and rain and I think it has begun to wear on me. As I prayed for sunshine today so that I might feel more joyful, God answered by reminding me that my joy does not come from a sunny day or a positive situation. My joy, and yours too, comes from Him alone. We can be joyful because of His presence in our lives (Psalm 16:11), because of His Word (Psalm 19:8), because of the works of His hands (Psalm 92:4). For these reasons and many more, we must make the decision to choose joy each day. The phrase, "Rejoice in the Lord and be glad"(Psalm 32:11) needs to become our "morning motto", the first words out of our mouths each day. I know it seems so easy to say, and so much harder to do! But I want to leave you with the words of Habakkuk 3:17-18 and pray they encourage you to rejoice despite your present circumstance. Make these verses personal by changing the words of the first part of this verse to your current situation and then cling to them each day.

" Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

I'm off to enjoy the sunshine today, to bask in it's light, and to thank God for this lesson. I hope you choose joy today too!

1 People had something to say:

Susie said...

What a beautiful thing for me to read this morning. It is just what I needed. Praise God for what he showed you and for your willingness to share.
PS I wish I could send some of our beautiful weather your way.