Inspired by others

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

There are tons of people who inspire us...people who have overcome suffering and tragedy, people who have paved the way that no one else was willing to go, people who have successfully walked down the same road we are travelling, or people who have accomplished amazing feats. It is wonderful for us to be able to "look up" to these types of people and let their stories encourage us. But what about those people who have yet to do anything, who are in the midst of trying? Can they inspire us? I believe so.

I am blessed to have met and become friends with two Chinese college students. They happen to be two of my teachers here. Although they are both 11 years younger than me and have yet to "accomplish" much in life, they truly inspire me. Both of these friends have a strong desire to reach a simple goal....they want to speak fluent English. They have no grand dreams of success or wealth, they just want to accomplish a task that most people in the world take for granted. It is not simply their ambition that inspires me, but their effort. They are so dedicated and determined to reach their goal, regardless of the difficulties. When I ask them what they are doing or have been doing, they always respond, "Studying!". They read dictionaries, test booklets, and other English materials. They find ways to practice their English with others at home, at school, and at work. In humility they are willing to be corrected and taught. And NOTHING distracts them from their ultimate purpose. That inspires me. It is not about what they have done already, but what they are trying to do.

I think too many times we look at people who have already accomplished something to spur us on towards our own goals, and we miss those who are on the journey as our true motivation. I pray you will open your eyes to those around you who are working and striving whole-heartedly towards a dream and let them be your inspiration today.

1 People had something to say:

Susie said...

You are so right in realizing this. I think the process of "becoming" and "learning" is so important because many (myself here) of us don't even try. Great post!