New Year Word

Friday, December 08, 2006

I just finished beating my daughter and her friend in Scrabble, and I have no guilt or shame that I won by over 100 points. I know....a "good" mom would have let someone else win or at least tried to keep the game close. It's just that when it comes to Scrabble, I have no mercy. That's probably because I LOVE words! I love to read them, write them, and obviously, spell them. However, there seem to be certain words that stick with me more than others for some reason. Transformation has been a favorite for quite awhile now (if you read my earlier blog you know why). Steadfastness, excellence, and discipline have also been words that have had special meaning to me. I really don't know why I am attracted to these particular words, maybe God just lays them on my heart. Whatever the reason, it has become a tradition for me to choose a word at the beginning of each new year to define what I want the upcoming days and months to be characterized by. I guess it's similar to the Chinese tradition of naming a calendar year after an animal (Year of the dog, Year of the bull), or when God commanded the Israelites to mark certain years like the Sabbath Year and the Year of the Jubilee for rememberance, restitution, and rest. Rather than having a long list of resolutions that rarely come to fruition, I have one word that I will strive to maintain all year long in everything I do. My word for 2007 came to me this morning, so I thought I would share it with you. I want this new year to be my Year of Significance. I spent most of 2006 "floating" from day to day (probably because we moved so much), but this year I want to bring meaning to the things I do and the people I influence. I want to live a life of significance - one that makes the world a better place because I lived. I want God to use my ordinary life to accomplish extraordinary purposes in 2007. How all that will come about I have no clue. I just have eager anticipation for the 365 days that lie ahead (okay, a little more since it's still December) and know that God will not disappoint! So stay tuned -- I pray it will be a year to remember.

2 People had something to say:

Susie said...

Great Liana, here you are talking about a "New Year Word" and I haven't even begun to make a dent on my Christmas shopping list. I think my word this year must have been "Procrastination". Just kidding with you. I love your word. It is perfect and just so you know, I think you have already "significantly" accomplished and influenced many lives in your short years on this earth. Love ya Friend!

The Glow Girls said...

Hi Liana,
What a great New year word. I've been looking for a word for myself. I think mine will be
" journey". The journey that God has me on is awesome and at times mind blowing. I know he is pruning me to become a woman that He wants to me to become.
Your word is so perfect for you. but you have already made a sigificantly mark in my life and others as well. Merry Christmas and I love reading your stories.