A different kind of fear

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Happy New Year! It's hard to believe it is already 2007 and that it has been almost a month since my last post. I'm not being hard on myself, it's just amazing how quickly time passes. I hope and pray you had a blessed Christmas season and are enjoying the new year!

Of course with the new year comes all those fun "resolutions". Clint and I resolved not to have any resolutions this year....we decided to be different. Not that there's anything wrong with resolutions! In fact, I think they can be very rewarding and motivating. I even like how my friend, Susie, labeled hers. She called her resolutions her "Spiritual Health Plan for the Year". Isn't that great? As I read her "plan" I loved that she decided to be less afraid this year in her endeavors and opportunities. We should all strive to make the most of every opportunity and not let anything hold us back. Which got me thinking.....

Just the sound of the word FEAR brings negativity. It conjures up images of pain, hurt, and discontentment regardless of what we may be facing. It causes us to shrink back, give up, and remain hopeless in our situation. I know that is not the kind of lives we were meant to have. When fear rules in our hearts and lives we are imprisoned in ways we could never imagine. As a Christian I am not to be in bondage to anything, less Christ's sacrifice for me was in vain. I want to be brave (as the Nicole Nordeman song goes), how about you?

But what about a positive fear? Does such a thing exist? Of course, the Bible tells us we are to have a "fear of God", which means a respect and reverence for who He is; but is there another? I didn't think so until just a few days ago. I was watching the Larry King Live show (which wasn't really live here in China) and Oprah was his guest. Larry asked her what her greatest fear was and this was her response: "I fear not fulfilling my life's purpose on this earth." Oprah's statement has really stuck with me because this is the kind of fear I should have -- a fear that motivates me to action, and has a positive purpose. I know that God created me for a purpose, He has a plan for my life and if I am to fear anything, it is not living up to that calling. I hope as you prepare yourself for this new year, that you will ponder all of this. I pray you will look at things in a different light and choose not to be trapped by fear, but propelled by it for the glory of God.

A new year always invites opportunities for new beginnings. How are you starting out? Happy 2007 to you!

1 People had something to say:

Susie said...

As if the fears I was referring to were not enough, now you have given me a new one. Just kidding. I love that statement. I must have missed that part of Larry King Live when Oprah said that. It really makes you think, and definitely makes you pray to reach for the goal of purposeful living. Happy New Year to you and the family!