Cleaning house

Friday, November 14, 2008

Well, the date is set. On December 10th and 11th, the movers will start packing us up for our relocation to Germany. Hard to believe it's less than a month away!

In preparation for this move, I've started going through each room and purging those things we don't need or won't be able to utilize in Germany. Why the sudden and untimely need for organization? Well, the strange thing about our new house, and houses in Europe in general I think, is that there are VERY FEW closets!! We have been blessed to have 2 large closets in ONE room, and a small storage closet in the entry, but that's it. Of course, the kitchen has cabinets, but I don't think I want to store my sweaters in there! So I'm trying to go through and determine what we REALLY need and what we can trash or donate before leaving.

Which got me thinking....most people usually make one of their New Year's Resolutions to organize their homes. The organization freak in me LOVES to hear that! But, like exercising, the desire to tidy up our homes gets lost somewhere in February. So how can we avoid falling into that trap? I think one key is to start now.

I know, you are probably thinking IS SHE CRAZY??? Doesn't she know that Thanksgiving is in 2 weeks, followed by the hurried rush of Christmas?? Yes, I am completely aware of the calendar. And I know that New Year's Day follows shortly thereafter. That's why NOW is the perfect time to start PLANNING for your New Year House Cleaning.

As you scour through the kitchen to stuff the turkey and open up your closets to set out your holiday decor, take a few moments and assess your space. Where would you like to start? What is feasible with your time schedule? What would your budget allow for organizational supplies (and I can promise you they'll be on sale at Lowe's in January)? Taking the time to think about it now, will allow you to start on the right foot when the new year rolls in.

"If you fail to plan, plan to fail" or so the saying goes. Don't let that be you when it comes to bringing order to your house in 2009. As for me, I'm purging one room at a time, one day at a time. My time, like yours, is limited but I know it will pay off in the end. I hope you'll discover that too.

2 People had something to say:

The Glow Girls said...

I just wish I had something to orgainize and rearrange . All my stuff is in storage! One thing I have organized is my thinking and my reorganizing what is important and what is not. So when we finally do move into our new house I will have hopefully planned wisely. Thanks for the reminder.

Susie said...

I will be moving again in January, and I guess I better get busy purging. Again. For the third time in a year. Ughh!

Thanks for reminding me that this is a great time to plan. At least we haven't bought a lot of new stuff. In fact, now that I think about it, we may actually have some empty closets if we move back to the Cannes house.

Miss you friend! Wish you were coming back home (Texas) to live ):